Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Yoyoyoyo, what’s cracking, people?! So this is my first blog entry, written on June 20th (21st? I’m not sure anymore), somewhere above Mongolian airspace at 11125 meters above ground level, rocketing ahead at 579 km/h. At least that’s what the display screen in front of my seat says – might I just spare a word here for giving kudos to Cathay Pacific, the niftiest airline ever(!) with its in-flight entertainment and information system that makes the whole journey somewhat bearable. I won’t be able to send this out until we touch down in our final destination, unfortunately, so what you’ll be getting is a collection of the miscellaneous ramblings I will have accumulated along the journey. Might make for a fun read. Maybe. I take no responsibility for whatever the hell it is that pops into my head to write down.

The time is presently 7:54 Greenwich Mean Time, which is the only timeframe that even marginally makes sense I think. It means nothing to me. My body is confused. Airplanes have a way of lulling your senses and fucking them up, and I’m both wired and fatigued at the same time. Which is kind of weird, actually. You really want to be active and do something but not only do the physical limits of a metal cylinder with wings packed with people stop yourself from doing that- you also seem unable to get your lazy ass off your uncomfortable seat. I swear, they must be putting something in the recycled air.

While I’m typing away, I might as well introduce myself before I forget, for the benefit of the first-time readers out there who don’t really know me all that well, why the hell it is I’m doing a blog, and what is up with me going to the Philippines, my final destination. First off that’s me on this Pic during our stopover at London Heathrow. Quick run-down of my stats – I’m David Christensen, height 1.7 meters, 74 kilos, a Malay/Caucasian ethnic mix, also termed a Mestizo (need to set that straight for some guys out there who keep calling me a fucking Chinaman. I’m not Chinese! Okay???!!! Dudes, it’s like me calling you Frenchies frogs. Hurts my feelings, man :) ). I hail from Aalborg, Denmark, until quite recently – happen to study there, in fact. I just finished my fourth year of the Master of Science program in Environmental Management (see the Website). Why is that even marginally interesting? It’s the reason I’m headed off to da Phillies, besides me wanting to do the revisit my roots thing. As an integrated part of the study program, there is a semester set aside for a traineeship, and in that connection I’ll be undergoing training at Sunpowercorp in Biñan, Laguna, outside Manila (see the Website). Here I’ll be doing work implementing the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System. Some day I’ll tell you guys ALL about what it’s all about. But, ladies and gents, sorry to disappoint you but it won’t be here. I’m not bored enough to do THAT yet.

I travel with Jacob Rasmussen, sitting to my left watching American Idol on the in-flight system (WTF? He’s losing street cred with me). Tell you more about him later. He’s the guy I’ll be doing the traineeship with in the Phillies. To my right sits my big bro, John, currently playing a video game on his system, and sucking ass at it. John is traveling with us as far as Hong Kong, where he will be resuming his own traineeship in a toy company. He’ll be blessing us with his affable and pleasant presence until then.

Urgh. Laptop off. I’ll continue this later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this would happen one day - a bloke falling down an open manhole! I always warned about this possibility when I worked on my urban project in the Phil.s and insisted on guard rails and warnings, to the headshaking of the city engineer of Davao at this unncessary cost!
Another thing, you may have to go to a doc to check on yr leg - remember yr Gouda insurance, it may come in conveniently.
Keep up the blogs!
Far

Anonymous said...

David, do not wory, shit like that does happen, I have fallen down the same manhole in Kampala on two different ocassions, two different trips but thesame manhole. The reason for thesecond 'dunk' was becausealthough i had remembered the first 'dunk' I had a false memory of where the manhole,was thus while believing myself to be safe, I fell down the same manhole a second time. Welcome to the Developing World!!!!

Anonymous said...

What's this with Expats, trainees falling down manholes? Man! it's o.k. to look up to the sky to check on the weather or walking your dog but not when you're walking around a Metropolis of any country - Developed or undeveloped.... Watch your step!

David said...

Yes, mom. (begin eyeroll now)

Kev - I'm so glad I have no reason to feel silly about doing what I did, considering your story! :) Give a shout-out to the household for me, and that includes the dog, who I've heard is into moving furniture around!

David